Monday, September 21, 2009

The Treasure of My Soul

It is human nature to be wooed by the exterior pleasures in this world. We all want nice things, prestige, more money, success, achievements and awards. We all want to be accepted among the popular people, hob-knob with the stars and rub elbows with the rich and famous. We strive toward excellence and create the image of ourselves we want the world to see. We manufacture a facade with all the stuff we've accumulated, and all the titles we hold. It is a natural desire within us to want more and this desire got me thinking...

When I close my eyes and sit alone in silent reverence I realize all of those things fade away and what is really important rises from the corners of my heart to the surface. I begin to understand that the things that influence me, strengthen me, support me and guide me aren't really "things" at all. Success and failure, money, prestige, reputation and recognition have all shaped me, but they are not the things that make me who I am. Faith plays a much greater role than all of those things put together, for without it I cannot endure. The people in my life that have shared tender moments, brought comedy and insight, and loved me despite my many infractions are worth more than a thousand trophies. I conclude that God has richly blessed me beyond the fleeting joy any material possession or title could bring. A smile fills my face as I realize this is the treasure of my soul. ~

1 comment: