Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How to Say "I'm Sorry" Like You Mean It

The phrase "I'm Sorry" is thrown around casually. Someone says they're having a bad day, we answer with "I'm sorry." Someone isn't feeling well, we say "I'm Sorry." I'm constantly hounding my children to learn to say, "I'm Sorry" after a confrontation with another child... even though their body language indicates it is rarely a heartfelt apology. There are defensive sorries, "Well, I'm Sorry then!" Argumentative sorries, "I'm sorry, you're sorry that I'm sorry!" So how do we utter these words with meaning?

I have found the best way to apologize when you are at fault is to go to the person face-to-face, look them in the eyes and ask their forgiveness. Most people in this world are good-hearted individuals. When they see you have mustered up the courage to come to them in person it already speaks volumes as to your sincerity. People who don't care don't take the time to go there. So sometimes just showing up has already softened their heart enough for your sincere apology to be heard. I've learned for most people an apology doesn't have to be elaborate, just heartfelt and spoken in truth. No accusations mixed in, no under the radar digs at the other person, no defenses... just a gesture of love that says, "I hurt you and I wish I hadn't."

Let those words sink in and pray for God to give them the strength to forgive you, and even the hardest of hearts can melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment