Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Played Out and Laid Out

Years ago I was on a sales call with a company I had sought after for several months. I was in a one-on-one meeting with the vice president of operations, hoping to close the deal, when out of nowhere he said, "I have a condo in Vail. Why don't you join me this weekend and we'll work out all the details."
I almost fell out of my chair. My first thought was that I had not heard him correctly, so I asked, "what?" He repeated the invite word for word. I know my face showed the shock I felt as I stammered, "I'm married."
He smiled and said, "me too."
I felt like one of those cartoon characters with steam pouring out my ears! I jumped to my feet and announced that this meeting was finished. As I gathered my things he said, "it's a shame, this would be a million dollar account for you."
I slammed my folder down on his desk and seethed, "I wouldn't screw you for a million dollars even if I were single!" Needless to say, I didn't get the account.

I don't know what makes some people think they can ignore the wedding band on another person's hand. Is it ego? Do these tactics have a high rate of success to encourage people to continue to behave this way, particularly in the workplace?

No matter where you work, there is a chance you will encounter men or women of this caliber. I think it's important not to let their advances be any reflection on how you view yourself. Stick to your high moral standards, decline their offers and walk away with your integrity in tact.

Rule of thumb: don't lay with a player or play with a layer…lest your career ends up played out and you end up laid out.

No comments:

Post a Comment