Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Sorrow of Divorce

When a marriage ends it is the ripping apart of two lives. Even in the most amicable separations, hearts are torn wide open, never sliced evenly and tenderly. It causes bleeding, scarring and wounds that will not be forgotten. It is a major life stressor and touches every area of their world. To describe divorce as heartbreaking is an understatement. Even those who put on an outward façade of strength crumble beneath the pressure. They mourn for the loss of the relationship and grieve for the dream of a life together. People don't stop loving each other just because they sign a paper marked "irreconcilable differences." Those feelings take a long time to melt away.


In the Bible in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 God talks about there being a time for everything in this life, and this "time" refers to the changes of our life. A time to weep, to laugh, to mourn, to dance, to embrace, to refrain, to tear, to mend, etc. The key is to allow yourself this time to hurt because the fact is, divorce hurts. Everyone's needs are different and one person may bounce back from a divorce in a matter of months while another may take years. It's a deeply personal journey of healing and only you will know when your heart is ready to love again.

Unfortunately people walk this path, but fortunately you don't have to walk it alone. God understands your heartache and He hears your cries of pain. He has written what I call little love notes all throughout the Bible to remind us that He is here. I'll share some of my favorites with you. These are the ones that I cling to with white knuckled fists and teary eyes in some of life's most painful times:


§ When I feel all alone … God says in Hebrews 13:5 "I will never leave you nor forsake you." This is my favorite because people will come in and out of our worlds, but God stays forever. Humans are flawed and will break our hearts, but God brings healing and comfort.

§ When I feel frustrated, scared, upset and worried… God says in I Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." We don't have to carry the burden alone.

§ When I feel like I can't get thru something, I can't overcome the heartache or remove the depression… God says in Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." I don't have the strength to face the painful things this world brings, but God does and when I take His hand and walk with Him I know I'm going to come out all right.


Only God's peace, comfort and healing can restore you to a place where you will be ready to fall in love again. God knows your heart better than anyone and in Psalm 37:4 He promises that if you delight in Him, seek Him and trust Him, "He will give you the desires of your heart."


Psalm 27:14: "Wait on the Lord, be strong and take heart, and wait on the Lord." Human beings fail relationships... but God never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment