Monday, August 31, 2009

The Journey

If someone had told me a few years ago
where I would journey,
down which path I would go -
I would have just laughed with a sarcastic glee
and boldly professed
"that would never be me!"

Yet, now here I am on this pathway of fate
as a woman renewed,
with a purified slate -
I can't help but smile, inside, to myself
as I look at past trials
and heartaches I've felt -
with the vision of hindsight and its clarity
I know my toughest fight
was the one against me.

So absorbed in myself I could not see the signs,
when I did in crept doubt,
said it's all in my mind -
I clung to a faith that was never my own...
but it's hard to escape
when it's all that you've known.

I rejected "religion" and all that it taught,
deep inside I could see
all their words were for naught -
though I felt no elation in spiritual form
on that quicksand foundation I stood... 'til the storm -

Then, as God spoke to Noah and said build an ark,
so enlightened was I on my quest to embark -
to acquire a knowing of Him called "Most High"
to begin inner growing, stop living this lie.

As the waters of knowledge poured into my soul
I was drowning in past things I had to let go -
through the floods of His cleansing
I took hold His hand
and He faithfully led me onto the dry land.

By unlocking the door to the wisdom He gave
I found peace, and much more -
I'm no longer a slave
to the world's obligations, the "have to's" and "shoulds"
I've rebuilt my foundation
this time with God's wood.

The path was not paved, there were times when I fell,
and I ranted and raved
thought He'd damn me to hell -
but the wonderful part, the most precious of all
is I learned in my heart that He'd not let me fall...
any further than into His open embrace
where the love gave me strength to get back in life's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment